Brett's works are layered with symbolism and Christian iconography, with narratives of the afterlife. He also explores questions of identity and his place in Aotearoa.
Over the last three years Brett has been working on woollen blankets stretched on canvas supports. The blankets are the connection and metaphor between colonisation, Christianity and the Maori prophets.
He recently won the 2021 National Contemporary Art award's runner-up and winner of the Hugo Charitable Trust Award, with a painting from the woollen blanket series.
SELECTED SOLO EXHIBITION2018
- ‘Sheep,goats and other introduced spirits’, solo show Hangar Art Gallery
- ‘Flesh and Spirit’ solo show, Pah Homestead, TSB Bank Wallace Arts Centre, Auckland.
- ‘Exhibition of selected works from the collection,’ Whangarei art Museum .
- ‘Visions of Reality’ solo show, Museum of the Vernacular Auckland
- ’Pathos’ solo show Satellite Gallery Auckland
- ’Do not Fear’ solo show, Wallace Gallery Auckland
SELECTED GROUP EXHIBITION2020
- ‘Mugshots” Hangar Gallery’ group exhibition
- MD(Megan Dickinson gallery) gallery group exhibition
- ‘Printing & Paint Atelier’ group show, with Rusell G shaw, Scott McFarlane, Megan Corbett, Chris Wilkie, Hangar Art gallery
- ’House of Cards’ group show The Incubator, Tauranga
- ‘Grottos, Shrines and Sacred Spaces’ with Karl Maughan, J.K Russ, Siren Delux, Peter Ireland, Thermostat Gallery, Palmerston North
- ‘Fabrications’ group show with Allie Eagle, Jeff Thompson, Jessica Crothall, 3rd Space Auckland
- ‘Several Artists’ group show with James Robinson, Jane Zusters, Alistair Nisbet-Smith, Geoff Tune, Art-Artz
- ‘Credo and Quest’ group show Whangarei Art Museum
- Group show Village Arts Gallery, Kohukohu Hokianga
- ‘Crucifixion’ group show with David Sarich and Barry Squire, Hangar Gallery Whangarei
COLLECTIONS & AWARDSCollections
- The Whangarei Art Museum Collection
- The James Wallace Arts Trust Collection
- Art-Artz Collection
- 2008 Wallace Art Award Finalist
- Whakatane National Ceramics Finalist 2003